Mary Elizabeth (Paine) Smith, John J. Weed (holding Leslie Weed), and Lewis Quimby Smith on the porch of the Smith Homestead, about 1907. Author's family.
Lectures are Civil War-related unless indicated otherwise, with emphasis on:
- The 14th Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers and their three years of service.
- The draft, town, state, and national politics and elections.
- The fall 1864 Shenandoah Valley campaign, the battles of Third Winchester and Cedar Creek, and the latter’s enormous impact on Lincoln’s 1864 reelection.
- Care of the wounded (and advances in medical care) in the Shenandoah campaign.
- October, Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA), Lectures on “Art of the Oregon & Lander Trails,” Kearney and Omaha, Nebraska, dates to be determined. With Jourdan Houston.
- June 23, Portsmouth Atheneum, Portsmouth, NH.
- June 25, Dublin Seminar, Deerfield, MA, with Jourdan Houston, “Boston Artists & the Civil War.”
- July 19, Gilford (NH) Public Library
- April 3, The Westerners, Durango, Colorado, with Jourdan Houston, “Col. Frederick W. Lander and the Lander Trail, 1859, with a Full Corps of Artists: Albert Bierstadt, Henry Hitchings, and Francis Seth Frost.”
- May 17, Henniker (NH) Historical Society
- May 19, Conway (NH) Historical Society
- May 22, Lander GAR Hall #5, Lynn, Massachusetts, “Salem-born Col. F. W. Lander and the Lander Trail 1857-1860.”
- May 29, Reunion/Commencement, Amherst College, Amherst, MA.
- February 3, Manchester (NH) Historic Association
- February 5, Exeter (NH) Historical Society
- September 18, La Plata County Historical Society, “William Henry Jackson & Thomas Moran’s 1881 Visit to Durango, Colorado, Early Images of the Silver San Juans.”
- July 25, Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society, Laconia, NH.
- August 2, Lincoln (NH) Historical Society.
- August 5, Ossipee (NH) Historical Society.
- August 9, Cheshire County Historical Society, Keene, NH.
- September 14, North Shore Civil War Roundtable, GAR Hall #5, Lynn, MA.
- July 22, Book Publication Celebration, Sandwich (NH) Historical Society.
- September 16, Rico (CO) Public Library..
- September 19, Main Book Co., Cortez, CO.
- October 7-9, Sandwich Fair, Sandwich, NH.
- October 10, Moultonborough (NH) Historical Society.
- October 11, White Birch Books, N. Conway, NH.
- October 12, New Hampshire Historical Society, Concord, NH.
- October 13, Wentworth Library, Sandwich, NH.
- October 14, Bayswater Books, Center Harbor, NH.
- October 21, Cedar Creek Battlefield & Reenactment, Middletown, VA.
- October 28, Winchester Book Gallery, Winchester, VA.